There are several modes of transport, and each mode of transport has its own pros and cons. Inessential to say, air freight is mostly used for high value and low volume shipments. Transport via air is the most recent mode of transport. It is the gift of the scientific advancement in the 20th century to the world. The two world wars gave a great impetus to the development of air transport in different countries in the world. The unique characteristic of air transport is that is does not require a specific surface track for its operations.
It has no physical barriers like other modes of transport. Political boundaries are also immaterial although it has to abide by the rules of the International Law. The supreme advantage of air freight lies in its quickness. However, there are many other advantages of using air freight, which are listed below.
- Fastest shipping method: If you want your goods to be moved quickly, then air freight is the best option you have. It is the fast shipping method compared to ocean freight or road transport.
- Fixed arrival and departure times: Since airlines are likely to be very on top of their schedules, the arrival and departure times of flights are highly reliable. Even if a flight a missed it would not cause much delay because usually there are flights departing every hour. Therefore, people tend to take help from Air Freight Services for shipping goods.
- Low insurance premium: Air freight has low insurance premium as the transportation time for air cargo is comparatively short. This means large amount of money can be saved. Although air freight can be costly, this brings about savings in terms of less insurance costs.
- Cargo can be sent almost anywhere: Many airlines have a huge network of destinations which covers almost the whole world. This means that using Air Freight Services you can send your shipment to every corner in the world.
- Tight security and less risk of theft and damage: Shipping by air provides the advantage of a high level of security, due to the fact that airport safety controls over cargo are tightly managed. Tightly managed airport controls reduce the risk of theft and damage of the cargo.
- Fewer requirements for warehousing and fewer items in stock: Because of the quicker transit times of air freight, the need for local warehousing is less. You also do not need to keep items in stock. As most cargo is cleared within hours, customs clearance, cargo inspection and cargo handlers are more effective.
- Less packaging needed: Usually, air shipments do not require heavy packaging like other modes of transport; for example when you are sending the cargo using Ocean Freight Forwarders. This means you don’t have to spend extra money to provide service for additional packing. Moreover, time is also saved.
- The status of your cargo can be followed: Many companies allow you to keep a track of your goods by using some web application, which means you can check the status of your cargo from departure to arrival. With this you have the opportunity to stay constantly updated.